Sunday, January 17, 2010

Idle Wanderings...

(written at various times over the past few days)

- I love being shut in my room when its pouring rain outside. This is the only time it feels cool in my room, and the tin roof makes it seem 10x more intense than it actually is. It's extremely soothing somehow - despite some really heavy rains so far, it has yet to cross over into irritating. Granted, I have not yet had to pee during a rainstorm, I guess it's only a matter of time. My latrine is a good 30 second walk from my door, and Peace Corps staff misplaced my pee bucket during moving. So my opinion on the rain might change when that day comes. I should probably just invest in a new pee bucket.

- My African peanut butter consumption rate (PBCR) has hovered around +/- 10% of my American PBCR. On a related note, a warm shout out to my sweet sweet mother for mailing me Reese's.

- There is a legend here that Michael Jackson is from Leribe, a district in the north of Lesotho. There is another legend that Barack Obama is from another district called Mafeteng. No explanation where these legends came from. 

- This week has been quite boring, but I guess I could call it formative boredom. I  was forced to explore the area a bit, walk down to the closest town, Morija (about 45 minutes), and climb a mountain with no idea how easy it would be or how long it would take. I also sat out on the curb of the main road to fill out some paperwork, just to invite small talk from locals walking by.

- On the other hand, I was so bored I played Freecell using an actual deck of cards. I was also so bored that I started a thread of facebook messages with other PCV's titled "I'm so bored I..." We all seem to have similar stories while we're waiting for our jobs to start.

- I really, really hate when I can hear the mosquito flying around my head in the dark at night, and can't find it.

- I have a really cute, hyperactive 4 year old neighbor named Selobelo. She speaks Sesotho faster than any 4 year old I've seen, and I barely understand her. Today I was hanging out with her and she joyfully started doing the dance move where you put your hands on the ground behind you, and launch your hips up and down in the air. It felt very much like watching the end of Little Miss Sunshine, but more lewd, and with an even younger girl. I wanted very much to stop looking, but she was grinning at me as she did it, wanting my approval. So I watched, kind of, and applauded.

- Procrastinating writing lesson plans as a teacher feels very much like procrastinating doing homework as a student, except I never had this blog to write on when I was a student.


By the way, school starts tomorrow morning. Should be quite an experience. Our school isn't built yet, so we'll be combining classes and condensing everything into 3 spare rooms in the nearby primary school for the first couple weeks. Also, something like 70% of the kids show up on the first day usually.

2 comments:

  1. If Obama is from Mafeteng, are Mafeteng-ers the REAL Barack Obamanauts??

    :) Hope your first day of school was awesome! Here's hoping our boredom list has peaked...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a great first day! Best teacher ever! Also, should we buy you a pee bucket? Do you have any color preferences?

    ReplyDelete