Thursday, February 25, 2010

"HIV is important to people"

I'm alive and well here in good old Masite Nek.

Teaching is, as it has been since day one, a struggle. But it's fun. I think of it as a year-long challenge, the kids start here (imagine my hand really close to the floor), and I'm trying to see how close I can bring them to wayyyy up here (hand up around eye level).

The class size has tapered off, we're at 107 students in Form A. Their ages range from 13-22 (again, this is 8th grade). One looks like he could kick my ass. There are about 10 boys who look like they are 9 years old. They all talk nonstop, until one of two things happens: a) I give about 10 people detention, or b) I go on a tirade about how they need to grow up, how I'm not their babysitter, and how the rest of the class is spending money to learn, and these certain kids are ruining it for them. All in all, they've developed into a pretty entertaining, though often infuriating, bunch of kids (and men and women).

I have stolen a brilliant teaching strategy from my friend Adam, who is working up North in Butha Buthe. I've split my class into 12 teams, each with some smart kids and some... eh... work-in-progress types. Over the next month, teams compete to have the highest average grade in math, science, and business education classes (I am teaming up with the business teacher for this). Teams got to choose their own names, captains, and assistant captains. The winning team is invited to my house for some homemade American food (chili - I make some pretty good chili). They also will win a pen, which might help with them whining about losing their pens.

In other competition news, ultimate frisbee is developing a small but loyal fan base, and I've had a couple of really fun games with the students. I'm still feeling out how much potential this has to become an official club, or even better, some sort of organized team setup.

Last week I got hit with a pretty nasty cold, even though its 90 degrees here most days. I went to the hospital to get some antibiotics, and when I was there, I got a sweet t-shirt I really wanted. It's bright red, and in huge letters says "HIV POSITIVE." You see them around Lesotho now and then. They're given out by Doctors With Borders. It's just about raising awareness and willingness to discuss HIV. I have been wanting one for a while, and so was thrilled to get one shortly before beginning my science lessons about reproduction and sexual safety.

The story really begins yesterday, when I walked into class prepared to talk about STD's. I tore off my button down shirt Superman-style to reveal the HIV Positive t-shirt. There was much hooting and hollering. I told them to be quiet. I told a story about how my friend got AIDS and died, because her boyfriend thought he was clean, because he never bothered to get tested. This got them to shut up real fast. It's not a true story, but enough people have a story like that that I felt fine telling it, and making it seem more personal for effect. I realized their interest in talking about HIV, so I abandoned my lesson, and had them all write one question they had. I collected them, and planned to read them over and answer as many as I could the next time (today).

Some questions were good, some were silly. Some weren't even questions. My favorite, which made me burst out laughing, and which I am going to hang on my wall, is "HIV is important to people." The girl who wrote it is really sweet, I love her, but... let's just say this is not her first year in Form A. But then... I got this one two-part question, from a tall, quiet, really nice 20-year old guy. He said "1. Where did I get this deases from? 2. Why did'nt I protect my self from this dangerous deases?" My heart sunk when I read it. I wondered what I should do.

So I answered many of the questions in class today, but not his, that would have been really inappropriate. When it ended, I said to come see me if you have more questions. He found me outside immediately, and asked me what he should do. Struggling, I told him I'm not a doctor, but that he needs to go see a doctor to come up with a plan, and that modern treatment makes it possible to live a long, decent quality life. Surely this wasn't the ideal answer, but still, if he goes to see professional help, that's great.

Now, Jerry Springer's Final Thought: As always, the days are a mixture of fun, frustrating, exciting, and depressing. My general state of mind is great though, I'm quite happy, so please don't worry. Or, worry, but attempt to fix it by sending me Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. :) Only kidding. As it says on my frisbee, Life is Good.

2 comments:

  1. Another great post. It's sad to hear about that 22yr old guy though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Chili thing.

    What do you have access to in the way of whole spices out there? Want me to send you a mortar and pestle? My chili has gone from good to ephemeral since I've started toasting and grinding my own spices. I'm also happy to send you any other ingredients you can't find.

    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete