Thursday, March 11, 2010

In Homage to Atlas Shrugged and The Matrix

Why must my students walk for hours on an empty stomach to get to school? Why do they ask me for food money five times daily? Why do I get to be in this position? Why am I not the one asking? Why did I get to be born in the first world?

Why was my best student, who could have waltzed into Harvard if she was born under different circumstances, forced to drop out of school because she can't afford school fees?

Who is John Galt?

I did nothing to earn the privilege of being American. So often, we turn a blind eye to the differences between our lives and theirs, the differences in opportunities available to us. Sure, we often hear about it, but we rarely listen to it. Why the disconnect? Because it's painful to think about. Our isolation keeps our conscience clean. And then, there's me. Why did I choose to move to Lesotho? Starving children don't beg me for 13 cents as they rummage through the trash in Boston.

Why, oh why, didn't I take the blue pill?

1 comment:

  1. Eric - I sent you a box of ice cubes. Did you get it yet?

    ReplyDelete