Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"Boyfriends I want to be with at one time"

This post is the follow-up to today's original post about why today was so excellent.

I have a Form A maths student named Boitumelo. She has always seemed kind of infatuated with me. Always coming to talk after class, smiling awkwardly... telling me that her mother is American (not true). She's kind of funny. Smarter than most, very hard working, and her English is great. No doubt her future is bright. One day she asked me if I'd assign her an essay topic which she would write for homework, then I could edit it. Naturally I obliged, and I assigned her something dull to write about. She wrote a page, and after I marked it the next day, she asked to do it again. The next day, same thing, and on it has gone, to this day.

Nowadays I have to dig deep to think of new topics. Usually I give her a choice of two or three topics and she tells me they're all awful, but chooses one anyway. Yesterday was no different; I gave her three choices and she grumbled about them. One was "How many boyfriends do you want to have at one time?" It felt like a dumb topic, one which I thought of only because I'm constantly preaching monogamy and thus it was in the front of my mind. I couldn't imagine how one would even answer such a question, and was confident this would not be the topic she chose.

I was quite wrong. Not only did she choose that topic, but she wrote by far her best paper ever. The language was clear, the ideas were more developed (there's even humor!), and most importantly, I was blown away by the wisdom of her answer.

Below, here is her essay in its entirety, unedited. Anyone who has taught here can confirm that this quality writing from a Form A is stunning. As for the content, maybe she's just been so indoctrinated at this point that she's merely regurgitating what she knows I expect. But I'm gonna choose to buy its sincerity.

Boyfriends I want to be with at one time

I don't want to have any boyfriend because when I have a boyfriend my mind will go crazy and I dont want to be craze. I like when my mind is still, not thinking too much. And when they are many I will be mad and when I have to choose for one I will go crazy and I'll not know who to choose and who to loose because I've loved them in the first place.

I'll rather stay a virgin than to have a boyfried or rather be an L.S.B.L [note: I learned today that this means lesbian]. I'll go crazy expecially when they are many. Because when I have them its easier for me to get HIV/Aids because guys don't care. Then when I have one Ill get the baby, and I hate babies, it's like I wasn't a baby.

And I dont like to be known all over because if everyone knows me with bad things like having lot of boyfriends that is not good. And guys bites they will just tell you that they love you but they don't love you they just want to have sex with you and then walk away I don't like that and I dont want to be a part of it.

But lot of girls like that and thats why they have HIV/Aids and lot of them died just because of they din't care about their lifes.

Thank God I am not a guy, and I am not that girl who loves boys too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment