Sunday, August 7, 2011

Moçambique

Before my last post (for which I must apologize on account of its mopey-ness), I actually took a pretty incredible vacation. My friend Rory and I went to Johannesburg, where we ate tons of great food, tempted fate in the taxi rank (not as frightening as people wanted us to believe), and I took the GREs. We took an overnight bus to Maputo, the capital of Mozambique (it's written "Moçambique" there, and as this is my first opportunity ever to use ç, I don't want to pass it up, hence the blog title).

For anyone who ever wanted to see Africa, I strongly recommend Mozambique. It is an amazing place. A very interesting blend of traditional African culture and European influence (which is not unique at all, most countries were colonized by this or that European power. Portugal, in this case). Great music, interesting architecture, awesome food, beautiful beaches, vibrant atmosphere. One of the more stable and faster developing places in Sub-Saharan Africa, too.

We spent our time in Maputo meeting locals and other travelers, and indulging in local food and beverage (highlights - fresh fish and seafood, avocado the size of a child's head, fresh loaves of Portuguese bread for $0.15, and high quality dark beer on tap at an outdoor market for $0.90). Mostly, we were just idling around, waiting for our other PC Lesotho friends to arrive, which they did after 2 days. From that point on, our travels around Maputo and Tofo have already been expertly chronicled by another Lesotho PCV and fellow traveler, Shanthi. I invite you to read all about it and enjoy some pretty pictures here. Sorry not to be writing it for myself, I guess I'm a bit lazy. Thanks Shanthi!

1 comment: