Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Good, The Bad, The Weird

Good: My principal and I have agreed on what we hope will become my secondary project as a PCV. It's a lofty goal but we're optimistic. With the help of some students and probably some other PCVs, I'll be writing a series of study guides for maths/science courses. We will distribute them to our students, and what's better, we aim to publish them professionally, and sell them around Lesotho. The money will be reinvested in our school, which, since it's still brand new, has all kinds of worthwhile uses for it. Today we took the first steps to begin the project, by soliciting students who want to join the team. Response was positive.

Bad: Yesterday, some of our primary school students attempted to rape one of our secondary students. Somehow school staff caught them, and fortunately the girl is okay. The punishment for the guilty students? We call their parents... that's it. I'm definitely not in Pikesville anymore.

Weird: I've been trying to teach Selabalo, the adorable 4 year old chatterbox across the street from me, basic greetings in Sekhooa (English). Now when I say "How are you?" she knows to reply "I am fine." Lately I've been struggling to get her to ask me how I am back. It's turned into a sort of Abbott and Costello routine, where every time I explain that she should say "I am fine, how are you?" she hears the "how are you?" part, and just shouts "I am fine!" and laughs. It's a lot of fun for us both. So, I was at Selabalo's house the other day, chatting with her mom, as she sat on the kitchen table echoing various English words she picked up as we spoke, and also shouting various terms she's overheard elsewhere (once she randomly screamed "conference center!"). As I said goodbye to them both, and as I was about to pull the door closed behind me, Selabalo looks at me and yells "They slept together!" and grins innocently.

1 comment: